Wilkes Community College Wilkes Community College
Wilkes Community College
YouTube Shutterfly Facebook Twitter Facebook

Transfer Information 

College Transfer Advising Center - CTAC
Important information for those planning to transfer from WCC to a 4-year NC college or university. 


Learn how to apply your AAS to a 4-year degree with a 2 Plus Programs for AAS graduates 

including the following programs: Nursing, Accounting/Business/Information Systems, Early Childhood, 

Architectural Technology, Human Services, Culinary, Criminal Justice, Medical Assisting, and Networking. 


AA/AS Transfer Information 

The North Carolina State Board of Community Colleges in cooperation with the University of North Carolina (UNC) Board of Governors has established a plan for the transfer of credits between community colleges and UNC institutions. 

Students may obtain detailed information about this Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (CAA) by contacting their advisor, the College Transfer Advising Center, or by choosing the link provided (CAA). The major components of the agreement are outlined below. 

  • The Universal General Education Component (UGETC) courses will transfer for equivalency credit and be used as credit toward the participating university's general education requirements. (Grades in each course must be "C" or better.) 
  • AA and AS graduates will have fulfilled all general education requirements at the public senior college. Students must take additional courses required for their major if these were not completed as part of the general education core. 
  • AA and AS graduates will transfer to UNC institutions with junior status. Admission to the university/major is not guaranteed -- all admission requirements must be met. 

Academic advising is especially important for WCC students in a college transfer curriculum program. While transferring to a senior institution in North Carolina is now easier than ever before, students who plan on transferring are encouraged to meet with a college transfer counselor. 

Wilkes Community College offers several associate degree curricula that parallel the freshman and sophomore years at most senior colleges and universities. The Associate in Arts (A.A.), and Associate in Science (A.S.) degrees are awarded when program requirements have been completed. By maintaining at least a "C" average, students should be able to transfer with junior status into baccalaureate degree programs at four-year colleges and universities. Admission to some majors will require a higher GPA. 

To assure proper course selection, students planning to transfer should contact the College Transfer Advising Center located in Hayes Hall for assistance in developing a list of courses needed specifically for their individual major at their chosen senior college. Information on programs of study for most colleges in the U.S. is available in the Advising Center . Applications for admission to senior colleges in N.C. are also available and should be submitted at least nine months prior to the date of intended enrollment. 

Students planning to transfer to a senior college or university are advised to examine carefully the current catalog of the particular college they plan to enter and to follow as closely as possible the recommendations for that program of study. Counselors and faculty members are prepared to advise students, but the final responsibility for course selection is left to the student. By working closely with their academic advisor, WCC students can minimize the possibility of taking unnecessary courses or loss of credit.  

This link goes to UNC system transfer information, including the CAA and other resources: 

 UNC Transfer Student Resources 

To learn more about North Carolina colleges and universities, visit College Foundation of North Carolina (CFNC). 

Important information about attaining a 4-year degree in Wilkes County 

Winston-Salem State University 

Bachelor of Science Nursing (BSN) 

Appalachian State University 

ASU Extension Education/Distance Learning 

For information on current programs offered, call 1-800-355-4084 

Gardner-Webb University 

 Degree Completion Program  

Bachelor of Science: Human Services, Business Administration, Accounting (online) 

For additional information, contact the College Transfer Advising Center at 


Arts & Sciences 




Updated 2/06/12